Dermalfillers sometimes referred to as soft tissue fillers, are substances injected under the surface of the skin to add volume and fullness.
Substances used in dermalfillers include:
- Calcium hydroxyapatite , a mineral compound found in bone.
- Hyaluronic acid, found in some fluids and tissues of the body that add fullness to the skin.
- Polyalkylimide, a transparent gel that is compatible with the body.
- Polylactic acid, which stimulates the skin to produce more collagen .
- Polymethyl methacrylate microspheres (PMMA), a semi-permanent filler.
- Each of these is designed to treat various signs of aging or other cosmetic issues.
The time they take to work and how long they last also vary. Some derma fillers last 6 months, while others last up to 2 years or longer.
People should discuss their individual needs and expectations with their doctor to find out which filler is the best choice for them.